Steve, my husband, and I have been married for 26 years this year. In today’s world this is an achievement. I have often been asked how we have done it. I don’t have all the answers, but there is one thing that I do think has contributed.
As a couple, we often book “dates” in our own diaries so that we can do things together. And we keep these times. So often, there is pressure from work diary and our social diaries to take scrub them out. Steve and I have, as a couple, decided that we will make sure we preserve these special times.
These are our guidelines:
- Firstly, we agree together
- We book a regular day/time to have a “date” to do whatever we want together, just the two of us. It could be weekly or monthly – whatever, whenever – and we stick to it
- We aim to have our “date” when we are at our best, well-rested.
- What do we do? Whatever we want: a gentle walk, watching the sunset, book a restaurant meal, a romantic spa day – the list is endless.
- It may take an effort to arrange, especially if you have children, but it is worth it. Press on through.
What do you do to maintain your relationship? Can you add any more suggestions? I’m looking forward to reading your comments. See you tomorrow.