Are you starting something new? New job? Getting married? Moving home? Kids left home and are you beginning a new era of your life? It is at these times that everything you know and believe in are called into question and scrutinised.
If you have read this blog for a little while, you will know that I am about to embark on a life-changing venture to Canada, with my husband Steve. While planning for this move, I have found myself re-evaluating many things that I consider to be foundational to me; foundational to what makes me who I am.
I am drawn to the first months and years of a new baby. Developmental foundations in your life, and mine, should have been provided by mother. Baby would have drunk in love, life and it’s sense of “being” by looking into it’s mother’s eyes.
On these foundations, the child would grow. Baby would have found it’s centre, it’s sense of being as it “fed” from it’s mum and it would have become confident, secure, certain, and positive. Mother was able to instill all these things into the child because, in an ideal world, she would have been loved, protected and supported by her husband.
My reasons for considering a move to Canada are varied. However, I believe that I am only able to undertake my new adventure because I:
- am confident – thanks to my parent’s nurturing
- am secure – thanks to my husband’s support
- am certain – because I have a peace about the future
- am positive – as I have pondered the good, healthy, exciting things that I will be able to achieve in Canada.
In addition to the above, there have been practical elements to consider:
- A sense of calling – does this fall in line with my priorities, values and beliefs?
- Wise Counsel – seeking the wisdom of others (2 or 3 only) to make a fully informed decision
- Planning – It is essential, and flexibility needs to be factored in.
- Finance – nothing else needs saying here.
- Opportunity and Timing – There is only so much that you can do to make the opportunity happen but if it’s meant to be it will come about.
So what about your foundations? Are they all in place? Are they strong enough to build the next phase of your life on? Are you ready to enjoy the challenge? I am. Hope you are too.
Thank you for taking the time to visit me here. I appreciate any feedback that you care to give. Please add a comment to introduce yourself, or add value to what I have written in this post.
Join in the conversation, or start one of your own, at my FACEBOOK FAN PAGE
Want to be notified of new posts to this site? The subscribe button is at the top right of the page. Thanks.