- children have become mixed up with the “wrong” kind of people
- severe illness diagnosed
- being told that they are no longer employed
- loosing a loved one
- Add you own issue here…..
How do you react when you receive such news?
Are you so completely numbed by the news that you are incapable of responding in any way? Or are you peaceful, and perfectly capable of seeing the “light at the end of the tunnel”?
I remember a year ago when I was made redundant. I was surprised as I hadn’t seen this coming even though there were redundancies being made all over the company and I actually had taught on change management! However, when I was given the news, apart from the initial surprise, I was very peaceful about the situation.
Yes, it meant that I would not have an income, that changes at home would have to be made, that relationships would be put under strain, but I still had this incredible peace and saw only good in the move.
People have commented about me during this time. They have said they would have been surprised if I had “gone under”. When I asked “Why?”, this is what they told me.
- I had an incredible attitude for encouraging others in all things
- I had a healthy, positive attitude
- I could see change coming and, although I had missed this one, I had enough experience in me to go with the flow
- That, once I knew the situation, could look forward and already had a picture of what I was going to do while I was not working
It took people outside of my situation to see the characteristics that I had. It was these that helped me work through my unemployment. The whole experience ended up being incredibly positive for me.
Look, I know that everybody’s situation will be different, but we have choices to make:
- be a victim and think that the world owes us a living
- be positive, look for openings, push doors and keep moving on – seeking to encourage others along the way
So, what about you? How do you deal with “bad news?” What stories have you got to tell?
Thank you for taking the time to visit me here. I appreciate any feedback that you care to give. Please add a comment to introduce yourself, or add value to what I have written in this post.
Join in the conversation, or start one of your own, at my FACEBOOK PAGE
Want to be notified of new posts to this site? The subscribe button is at the top right of the page. Thanks.
- How to Reduce, prevent, and Cope with Stress (matthewzavoras.wordpress.com)
- Inner Strength: The Psychology of Survival, by J.S.F. (survivalblog.com)