- Leadership is a heart matter.
- Every person, at some point in their life, is a leader – in something e.g. every parent is a leader in the life of their child; every teacher is a leader in the lives of those children they teach; when the fire alarm goes off at the office, there will be one person who becomes the leader and takes people out of the building.
- Doing the right thing, when the right thing needs to be done, is leading.
- Leaders go first in everything e.g. in morality, honesty, integrity – it’s how you should live your life.
- Leaders don’t just see what’s wrong, but they see what could be.
- Leaders know the difference between a vision and a dream. A vision is where you see the picture, and you go there – taking action to achieve it. A dream is where you see the picture but no action is taken to move towards it.
- It’s not about a title. You are only a leader when you lead. Anyone can have a business card saying that their title is a ‘leader’ but if they are not leading anyone or anything at that time, they are not a leader.
- Often, leaders lead with a limp. True leaders are humble, open and vulnerable. They are aware of their weaknesses. When leaders wear masks, their followers wear masks.
- Leaders are tenacious learners and will ask questions when they don’t know or understand.
- Leaders know that there is no separation between the public and private life they lead.
So, I ask you – do you agree or disagree with any of my points above? Let’s discuss.